Parkhouse Colliery Memorial in Danesmoor Cemetery stands today as testament to a disaster. In November 1882 an underground explosion brought the collapse of the pit shaft causing the death of 45 men and boys. Many of their families lived in company housing at Pleasant Row, Chapel Row, Cellar Row and Gaffers Row. Also known as Egstow Terrace, this last street was built in 1846, was considered of better average quality housing.
With a diverse range of places to visit, North East Derbyshire is perfect for a great day out or a weekend break. Our Visitor Guide gives just a brief taster of what the District of North East Derbyshire, and the surrounding areas, have to offer.
Take a look through the pages of the guide using the links below.
Derbyshire County Council County Hall Matlock Derbyshire DE4 3AG
The Anglican church of St Bartholomew had been built and consecrated in 1851. Six years later a spire was added. The Rev. Joseph Oldham and his wife, Emma were the first conscientious incumbents. Her brother was radical designer and founder of the Arts and Crafts movement, William Morris. Morris was commissioned to install a saintly stained glass window.
Clay Cross is a former industrial and mining town. It is a civil parish in the North East Derbyshire district of Derbyshire, England, about six miles south of Chesterfield. It is directly on the A61, the former Roman road Ryknield Street. Surrounding settlements include North Wingfield, Tupton, Pilsley and Ashover.
The North Midland Railway tunnel sank nine ventilator shafts through which smoke wafted across the Peaks. Clay Cross is situated at the highest point on the line 361 feet above sea level, when it opened in 1840. A narrow gauge line transported coal up the incline to the works. Another mile north along the 'Black Path' was Clay Cross railway station, between the halts at Tupton and Hepthorne Lane.
The latest news and info for Clay Cross, Alice's View, Stonebroom and Tupton
Clay Cross Chess Club has thrived in the town since 1977. It holds weekly club nights and is a constituent member of both Sheffield & District Chess Association and Derbyshire Chess Association, entering teams in the leagues of both. New members - beginners and grandmasters alike - are welcome.
You can also search our family information directory to find out about childcare, free early education places for two, three and four-year-olds and other activities near you.
Colliery owner Thomas Houldsworth, also a churchwarden for 25 years, built Alma House which stood in extensive parklands. The house was surrounded by railings and flat roof of indeterminate date. He was responsible developer of Clay Cross pits until 1850, and then the Alma Colliery in North Wingfield, after the Crimean War.
You can find out what activities are happening at Clay Cross Children's Centre in our what's on guide.
St Bartholomew's Church, which occupies a prominent position on the High Street, was built in 1851; the spire was added some six years later. It is a fine example of the Early English architectural style, with stained glass windows.
When the tunnel was completed, Swanwick left town, but the house was passed to engineers James Campbell and William Howe, and by the 1860s, Dr. Wilson, the local medical practitioner was in residence.
In 1840 the Stephensons built Eldon House as its office headquarters, which latterly was converted into a private dwelling-house. The Stephensons also built more than 400 miners' cottages. In addition they set up elementary schools and consecrated new churches. The company provided the town with almost all its energy needs in gas and electricity.
The area has many local attractions and places of special interest. In addition to the stunning peak district scenery other places people enjoy visiting include Hardwick Hall, Bolsover Castle, Chatsworth House and the National Tramway Museum at Crich.
Clay Cross began as a mainly farming community until in 1837, whilst George Stevenson was building his railway from Leeds to Derby, tunnelling began beneath the town and vast deposits of coal and iron ore were found.
Sharley Park Leisure Centre, on the A6175, Market Street, has swimming, gym and sports hall facilities.
Next door to the church is the oldest building in Clay Cross, "Hill House", built in 1833 it was sold to the North Midland Railway during tunnelling operations. It has been used over the years as offices for varying businesses, and is now a Residential Care Home.
The Clay Cross Pioneer Industrial Co-Operative Society's first shop was opened on the corner of the High Street and Market Street. It was an early member of the Co-Operative Movement founded in Rochdale by John Bright that spread rapidly across the North of England. The Co-operative Society archives say that the Clay Cross Pioneer Industrial Society merged with the Chesterfield & District Co-operative Society in 1915.
A book on the dispute between the council and the government, The Story of Clay Cross, was written by one of the councillors, David Skinner and the journalist Julia Langdon. The book was published by Spokesman Books in 1974.
Both websites have information on places to visit, things to do, places to stay and a "What's On Guide".
In 1925 the Ashover Light Railway was opened to transport minerals from the quarries at Ashover Butts to the Clay Cross Company at Egstow. The passenger services on the narrow gauge line were closed in 1936 and the mineral traffic ceased in 1950.
Five football clubs from the town, all now extinct, have competed in the FA Cup over the years -
For more information about Chesterfield and the surrounding area, including North East Derbyshire, and to book holiday accommodation take a look at the Visit Chesterfield website.
Clay Cross Sure Start Children's Centre Market Street Clay Cross Chesterfield Derbyshire S45 9JE
The town's current team, the third to be called Clay Cross Town, play in the Central Midlands Football League, and played in the FA Vase for the first time in 2016.
Springfield House was built by the Clay Cross Company for engineer William Howe by the company. He was the resident from 1866 until his death in 1872. An even earlier event was Hill House built by 1833 it was purchased by the North Midland Railway Company in 1837 as an office for resident engineer Frederick Swanwick.
You can also use our contact form, or submit your complaints or praise.
And with the Peak District so close at hand, why not check out the Visit the Peak District website for lots more to do in our nearby national park?
This prompted Stevenson to sink mines and build an iron foundry to utilise these deposits. Soon the population of the town expanded as men and their families came to work in the new industry. This foundry and its associated industries became "The Clay Cross Company", which prospered until 2004 when, like many British engineering firms, it was closed and its business moved abroad.